Identity theft is a concern for most while going about daily living. Businesses protect clients’ valuable information. Individuals keep tabs on their credit cards and ID when at home. Vacation travel shouldn’t be any different. In fact, people should take more precautions when traveling. Identity thieves make use of every opportunity; they never take a holiday if it means they can make a quick buck at your expense. If you take work with you on the road, you carry a more significant liability of managing and protecting documents.
Protect Vital Information When You Travel for Vacation
When you head out toward your vacation destination, you need to carry a variety of documents with you, including:
- Health-Related Information:This category applies more when you head overseas, but it includes current vaccination information and a letter from your doctor for any medications you may need. Additionally, it’s vital to have your doctor’s contact information handy as well.
- Travel Documents and Personal Identification: You will carry your passport and driver’s license. Also, this category includes a travel visa where needed.
- Emergency Contact Information: Unexpected problems arise just as the term suggests, unexpectedly. You may consider storing addresses and phone numbers of US embassies or consulates when traveling internationally. It’s important to have that contact information with easy accessibility—for you, not for unauthorized parties.
- Travel Itineraries: When you travel, you will have additional information such as flight details, hotel reservations, and rental car bookings.
Devices to Protect While Traveling
Gone are the days when we would leave our electronics at home. Today’s average traveler has more than one device. These devices work in various capacities and are full of valuable information that can be misused when stolen. Remember to protect these three items, especially when you travel:
- Mobile Devices: We use our phones for practically everything, from ordering a pizza to balancing our checkbooks. Laptops and tablets also have valuable information on them. Be sure you keep the data protection software up-to-date and use strong passwords on password-protected devices. Utilize the safe in your hotel room when leaving behind your phone and laptop. Check for it when you return!
- Confidential Documents and Data: Many people still work intermittently even when they are supposed to be on vacation. They may use their personal phone to check corporate records or email. If you are among those who cannot fully disconnect from work, consider how you can limit the amount of confidential data you take with you. Keep paper records locked up and save a digital document to a cloud service. Avoid public Wi-Fi whenever possible, and disable your device’s Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when not in use.
- ID, Credit Cards, and Travel Documents: Pack only the essential ID, credit, and debit cards. Regularly keep tabs on your credit cards, and report any suspicious activity or stolen cards immediately. Before you leave on an international trip, scan a copy of your passport and email it to yourself. Use email encryption software to keep it secure.
Stem the Tide of Identity Theft with a Quality Records Management Company
Vacations should be a time of fun and relaxation—a time to get away from the hustle of everyday life. Yet, crooks will take advantage of every opportunity they can. Crown Information Management may not be part of your vacation plans. Still, we stand ready to ensure your company’s confidential records are appropriately managed and destroyed. Look to us for services, including:
- Shredding of documents. We provide locked containers to store your documents in until the scheduled pick-up.
- Complete chain of custody. We utilize procedures to ensure that documents and hard drives are kept under stringent control through final destruction.
- Quality records management. Our team is highly trained to handle your documents throughout their lifecycle, from creation through disposal.
Trust Crown Information Management for all of your document and records management needs.
We put our team to work for you for complete destruction, shredding, and records management services. Call Crown Information Management at 800-979-9545 or contact us online to schedule a pick-up or learn more about the process.