Hire Professionals to Destroy Old Hard Drives and Shred Documents
‘Tis the season for holiday cheer. Now is the time to engage in the hustle and bustle of family, friends, food, and shopping. Merchants ensure their customers get the best deals on the perfect gifts. They work hard – so do cybercriminals. The holiday shopping season is the ideal time to get away with theft as consumers take advantage of deals in stores and online. Getting caught up in the excitement of getting gifts for loved ones is easy. Few want to think about those who are stealthily trying to steal a person’s identity. The unfortunate fact is that it happens all the time. You can protect yourself during the holidays by taking some extra precautions as you shop this year.
Don’t let cybercriminals take advantage of you and your holiday cheer. Take safer steps when shopping and consider using a professional records management and media and document destruction company. They can take care of your documents and hard drive destruction needs to aid you in keeping your identity safer.
Tips to Keep Your Identity Safer While Holiday Shopping
As you check your holiday shopping list and get ready to head out the door or open up the store’s website, keep these tips in mind:
- Secure your smartphone. The smartphone makes shopping a breeze. All you need to do is open your favorite store’s app and add items to your cart. Before you let anyone borrow your phone, be sure you have logged out of apps and websites. Using an app that locks your phone if lost or stolen is good practice.
- Pay close attention to the sites and emails from stores you purchase from. Setting up a website or email that looks like the real deal is simple and can easily take your identity. As you shop online, verify each site you use. Be cautious when clicking on links in an email. They are capable of harvesting your personal data.
- Limit the number of credit cards you use. Using one or two cards instead of five will make it much easier to match up receipts and keep tabs on your spending. It also helps to know when a purchase that you didn’t make is made against your card.
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi. This may be one of the simplest ways to hand your identity to criminals. Public Wi-Fi can be easily hacked, and no one knows it. Consider using a virtual private network (VPN) to help keep your information secure.
- Utilize professional media and document services. Once the holiday excitement has dissipated, you are left with receipts, records, and even media that need to be destroyed. For example, maybe you bought a new computer. It’s tempting to throw the old one away. However, if the hard drive is still good, dumpster divers can steal your information. Don’t leave anything to chance. Have professional media and document destruction ready for those items that could still have personal information on them.
Thwart Cybercriminal Activity with Help from the Pros
Keep your holiday cheerful when you enlist the services of Crown Information Management. Our well-trained and dependable team has the know-how and equipment to destroy any media you have, correctly. We can also provide shredding services and house your vital documents in our safe and secure facility. Look to us for all your document storage and destruction needs.
For experienced help with media destruction, records management, and document storage, call Crown Information Management. You can reach us at 800-979-9545 or contact us online to learn more about our services. Put our team to work for you. We are a SOC1 Level 2 Report,NAID AAA, and PCI Certified company.