Professional Document Destruction to Keep Your New Year’s Resolution
After the holidays have settled down, many companies look at their next big event—tax season. Preparing for taxes often includes gathering up the current year’s paperwork for storage and purging any old records. If you aren’t meticulous with planning and organizing, your office may quickly turn messy with stacks of files and boxes littering the landscape. Even if your fiscal year doesn’t end on December 31st, developing an annual purge of records, hard drives, and electronics makes good sense for a decluttered and well-functioning office. To make the process easier on everyone, choose the services of a professional paper shredding company. They will come to your location and take all the clutter away.
A Handy Checklist for Clearing Out All That Paper
End-of-year paper purging provides your office an opportunity to declutter and breathe easier. Professional shredding services follow proven best practices for protecting valuable data. It helps everyone focus when they don’t have to tackle piles of records that need to be destroyed. Businesses are tasked with ensuring their customers’ data is protected. Make the job easier for all involved, with this handy checklist:
- Get all departments involved. Record purging can be an overwhelming experience. It shouldn’t be up to only a few people to handle the entire organization’s needs. Instead, prepare everyone for the clear-out with a well-thought-out schedule. You may even close down work for a day or an afternoon to accomplish everything.
- Make this the time for a deep purge. The end of the year is the perfect time to slow down and thoroughly sort through the paper to ensure your company isn’t hanging onto documents unnecessarily. If you choose an ordinarily slow time, your team should be more capable of purging records.
- Verify retention dates to ensure compliance. Each industry is required to keep documents for specific periods. The IRS also has specific requirements. Talk with the appropriate departments to verify the retention dates of the records your company will be reviewing. After receiving the information, create a checklist for your team to refer to while they work.
- Schedule a pickup date for your shred boxes. If you already utilize the services of a document shredding company, contact them for a pickup date. If you don’t, now is an excellent time to establish a relationship with one. Hiring one that also offers records management and electronic device destruction is a great idea.
- Consider destroying more than paper. Besides records, you probably have old computers and hard drives hanging around the office and taking up valuable space. You may even have old employee ID badges and thumb drives. You can have these shredded, too.
Smile through the Paper Purge with Help from Crown Information Management
You don’t have to dread the end-of-the-year document clean-out when you have the team at Crown Information Management ready to serve you. We can drop off locked boxes for you to fill and then return to conduct onsite shredding services. We also help with offsite records management to ensure you have what you need when you need it, without cluttering your offices. Call us today! Let’s work together to keep your New Year’s resolution for a clutter-free office.
For timely destruction of documents, products, hard drives, and secure, pest-free storage with a SOC1 Level 2 Report,NAID AAA, and PCI Certified company. Call Crown Information Management at 800-979-9545 or contact us online to learn more about our document storage and shredding services.